Entertainment, Advice, The Average Joe, and of course my own personal woes... What will I talk about? Who knows? I've decided that I need a larger space to record my countless rants. Like to hear it? Here it goes...

KFC Racist?

The following Australian KFC commercial has raised claims of racism:

The KFC "Cricket Survival Guide"... A white man in the center of a rowdy group of black cricket fans. The solution to this "awkward" situation? A bucket of fried chicken... "Too Easy!"


KFC Australia claims that the commercial was misunderstood by Americans, as they do not share the same culturally based stereotypes as the U.S.

The company stated, "It was a light-hearted reference to the West-Indian cricket team." No further explanation was provided as to the details of the West-Indian "reference." However, KFC assures their commitment to diversity and offers their apologies while removing the advertisement from Australian TV.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the ad is racist? Please comment below.

Click here for the story source

4 comments:

MaxiVelasco said...

Hmm. In all honesty, I do not find this commercial racist at all.

I find it short and straight to the point. Plus the people around the white man do not seem to be irritated at all.

By the way, I am now following your blog through Google Friend Connect and Facebook NetworkedBlogs. I hope that you'll follow my blog, too.

www.ovahcoffee.com

Have a nice day!

DJ 2-Cents said...

Thank you for commenting, I'm always interested in the opinions/comments of others. But may I ask.. what do you feel the "point" of this commercial is?

P.S. I'll be sure to follow.

holly said...

It's likely still a stereotype about some groupe of people, whether it's about race or not. I guess since we aren't privvy to Aussie culture it's hard to say what they're really referencing.

Perhaps that cricket team is comprised of veracious eaters? No idea. But if that were shown in America...it would definitely be a huge uproar.

DJ 2-Cents said...

Lol! I completely agree Holly. Certainly if that were shown in America, the cultural and racial implications could be more easily defined. However, like you said, there is clearly some sort of stereotyping prevalent in this ad.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails