Entertainment, Advice, The Average Joe, and of course my own personal woes... What will I talk about? Who knows? I've decided that I need a larger space to record my countless rants. Like to hear it? Here it goes...

Uggs are UggLY!

Anyone who knows me... knows that I cannot stand the "Classic" Uggs. There is absolutely nothing attractive about that boot. For those of you who are fellow New Yorkers, you probably know that young girls from Long Island tend to gravitate towards these hideous fashion faux-pas.

Birds of a feather... flock together!
(Photo courtesy of Street Correspondent, Kerri K.)

What is the fascination with these boots? Why do people spend upwards of $200 for a pair? Those of you who swear by them will attest to their comfort and warmth as the reason for donning them in the streets. Well, I think there are some subconscious reasons that you've yet to consider, after all I've seen girls wear them with skirts in 70F degree weather.

The sheepskin provides warmth and comfort while preventing moisture (NOT WATERPROOF); However, I believe those are secondary reasons. This is a style conscious world we live in... and for those who aren't conscious?... They get featured on my blog!


I believe that some advantageous Hollywood starlet, dared to be different by purchasing these boots before they gained any popularity. She was likely photographed and featured in various tabloids and then... a TREND was born. Eventually as the trend began to wane with the "Who's Who?" of the entertainment industry, the UGGs phenomena trickled down to the average folk... and they just won't let it go.

I've said it before and I will say it again... Uggs make your feet look like that of Chewbacca or a Sasquatch. Even worse, after awhile they become broken-in, taking on the form of your foot. This along with water, dirt, and salt stains make for one helluva site for sore eyes. The larger the persons feet... the worse they look.

Aside from the fact that they are not visually appealing; in my opinion... The "classic" Uggs tend to shorten the leg while adding bulk. What does this mean? They make you look shorter and wider.

Ugg Australia offers a wide variety of alternatives on their website. Ladies, consider the Classic Argyle, Cardy, or the Lo Pro Drawstring from their knitted collection. If you interested in leather, take a look at the "Roseberry" boot in their Fashion collection. These are a more fresh and fashionable alternative to the classic boot. There is a slew of other boots, shoes, etc. to choose from.

Gentlemen... I never want to see any of my fellow brethren sporting a pair of Classic Uggs.

For those of you who would rather die than go without your Classic Uggs. I implore you... please do not try to glam these boots up. Just wear them for their functionality and warmth. Most importantly, think twice before wearing them with spandex/leggings or a skirt.

P.S. The "Ultra Tall/Short" boots are almost as bad as the Classic.

*Many thanks to Kerri K., Cense & Censibility Street Correspondent for the photo contribution.

You can join the Censibility team by sending in photos of fashion wrecks etc. to CENSIBILITY@GMAIL.COM

*Feel free to post your comments below.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AGREED!! Just read Ur blog post!! However comfortable and warm they may be, there are other boots out there that are just as functional! You seemed to forget one more thing about Uggs...they make girls' feet stink so bad!! I swear the stench penetrates through the boots...sorry for these girls' boyfriends! Ugh!!!

Perhaps you might consider a pair of snowboots by Sorel...they're extremely warm, comfy and keep your feet dry through the cold soggy days! I walk right through the wet nasty slush in mine, and it just slicks right off them!! I have the Caribou! the Torino, 1964 Pac, and Tivoli are cute...and still tough!! Also, they cost less than Ughs...um, Uggs!!

~Cathy P.

Anonymous said...

Wow if only I saw your Blog earlier cense. I'm gunna be on the lookout for the worst hollywood fashions for you. There are so many trainwrecks out here.

yea Uggs were ridiculous a bit in college. They're like cabbage patch kids to young girls back in the 90's

Pete S.

DJ 2-Cents said...

Sounds great Pete! I'd love to branch out to other states. Anything you get... pics, ideas, etc., send them my way.

P.S. Great comparison with "Cabbage Patch Kids"... they've just gotta have 'em.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails